Dangerous Christmas Food for Dogs

For many of us, Christmas is usually the time to indulge, celebrate and have fun – and as part of the family, our dogs will normally be enjoying some of the Christmas spirit as well! However, it’s important to be aware of the dangers our furkids can be susceptible to from food and drink consumed over the festive season….

Ham Bones
While the festive season includes lots of leg ham for humans, this should not be the case for your dog as well! Although it may be tempting to give your pooch leftover leg ham, roast turkey or chicken, it is detrimental to their health! Ham and other salty meats and foods are very dangerous to pets. In addition to being high in fat, they are also very salty which can cause serious stomach ache or pancreatitis. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may drink too much water and develop a life-threatening condition called “bloat.” This is where the stomach fills up with gas and within several hours may twist, causing the pet to die. Please avoid giving ham and salty foods to your pets.  

Chocolate
The chemical theobromine, which is a bit like caffeine, is found in chocolate and is toxic to dogs. Even small amounts can cause agitation, hyperexcitability, tremors, convulsions and problems with the heart. The darker the chocolate, the more potent levels of theobromine become – with baker’s chocolate the most dangerous. Chocolate should be avoided at all costs. But what do you do if your dog does eat chocolate? Even small amounts have the potential to make them feel sick, but veterinary treatment should be sought for any dog ingesting more than 20 mg/kg of theobromine – that’s equivalent to 3.5 g/kg of plain or dark chocolate and 14 g/kg milk chocolate. White chocolate does not contain enough theobromine to cause toxicity, but it can be fatty and pose a potential risk of pancreatitis. Avoid putting any chocolate on or under the Christmas tree, as the temptation might be too great for our four legged friends.

Christmas pudding and mince pies
Grapes and dried vine fruits (currants, sultanas, raisins). Grapes and their dried products (currants, sultanas and raisins) are toxic to dogs. Ingestion of even a small quantity can cause severe kidney failure. Don’t forget this will include food items that contain dried fruits such as Christmas pudding and mince pies. Be aware that chocolate-coated raisins run the additional risk of chocolate toxicity.

Onions (and garlic, leeks, shallots and chives)
Onions, garlic, leeks, shallots and chives all belong to the Allium species of plants and can cause toxicity. Initially there can be vomiting and diarrhoea but the main effect is damage to red blood cells, resulting in anaemia. This may not be apparent for several days after ingestion.

Alcohol
Alcohol can have a similar effect in dogs as it does in their owners when drunk in excess. They can become wobbly and drowsy and in severe cases, there is a risk of low body temperature, low blood sugar and coma. Dogs may help themselves to any unattended alcohol left lying around over Christmas, so ensure it’s always out of their reach.

Macadamia nuts
Macadamia nuts can cause lethargy, increased body temperature, tremor, lameness and stiffness in dogs.

Leftovers
If there is any food left over at Christmas, be careful to dispose of it well and keep it out of the reach of your furkid. Not only may the food include ingredients toxic to dogs, mould in leftovers (including yoghurt, bread and cheese) can produce toxins that cause rapid onset convulsions in dogs.

Artificial sweeteners
A sugar-free sweetener called xylitol is often found in the sweets we consume over Christmas, as well as chewing gums, mouthwashes, toothpastes and supplements. It is poisonous to dogs and, although the amounts in different products vary, event one to two pieces of chewing gum can cause toxic effects in a small dog. It can induce the release of insulin in the body, resulting in low blood sugar and sometimes liver damage. Signs of poisoning can be rapid or delayed, and include vomiting, lethargy, convulsions and comas. The prognosis is good if the low blood sugar is treated quickly.

Please remember that although it may be tempting to feed your doggo Christmas food, that they are very harmful for their health and well-being and it is important that they stick to their balanced raw diet all year round, including Christmas.

Learn more about feeding raw or browse our range.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Connect with Us

Phone: 07 3390 1498

Opening Times:
Tues to Frid 8.00am - 4.30pm
Sat: 8am - 12pm
Closed all public holidays and Mondays (for Production)

Address: Shop 7 / 36 Old Cleveland Road, Capalaba QLD

Where do we ship?
Refund/Returns, Delivery & Privacy
Terms & Conditions

Copyright 2019. All Rights Reserved. Instincto.
0